"Fully alive people do not see their lives as a perennial funeral procession with one day following uneventfully on the heels of another. Alive people see tomorrow as a new opportunity which they eagerly await. They are on the growing edge of life." (Father John Powell)

Thursday, July 2, 2009

A Prayer for Growing and Expanding Our Hearts

O Divine Love, you stand everlastingly outside the closed doors of our souls,knocking ever and again. Will you not now give me grace to throw open all my soul’s doors? Today let every closed door that has hitherto robbed mylife of air and light and love be opened.

Give me an open mind, O God, a mind ready to receive and to welcome such new light of knowledge as it is your will to reveal to me. Let not the past ever be so dear to me as to set a limit to the future. Give me courage to change my mind, when that is needed. Let me be tolerant to the thoughts of others and hospitable to such light as may come to me through them.

Give me open eyes, O God, eyes quick to discover your indwelling in the world which you have made. Let all lovely things fill me with gladness and let them uplift my mind to your everlasting loveliness. Forgive my pastblindness to the grandeur and glory of nature, to the charm of little children, to the sublimities of human story, and to all the intimations of your presence which these things contain.

Give me open hands, O God, hands ready to share with all who are in want the blessings with which you have enriched my life. Deliver me from all meanness and miserliness. Let me hold my money in stewardship and all my worldly goods in trust for you.

A Diary of Private Prayer, John Baillie

No comments: